The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services are the co-leaders of Million Hearts® within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Million Hearts® aims to prevent heart disease and stroke by:
- Improving the quality of care for the ABCS (appropriate aspirin use, blood pressure control, cholesterol management, smoking cessation)
- Improving the prescription and adherence to appropriate medications for the ABCS
- Improving access to effective care
- Focusing clinical attention on the prevention of heart attack and stroke
- Activating the public to lead a heart-healthy lifestyle
To learn more about the Million Hearts® initiative please go to: millionhearts.hhs.gov
What is the American Heart Association’s involvement with Million Hearts®?
In 2012, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) awarded funding to the American Heart Association (AHA) to coordinate the activities of a collaboration of four national organizations; support the implementation of national, state, local level strategies and selected recommendations from A Public Health Action Plan to Prevent Heart Disease and Stroke – 2008 Update that align with Million Hearts®.
The Collaboration to Prevent Heart Disease and Stroke (The Collaboration) includes:
- American Heart Association (AHA) (Co-chair)
- National Forum for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (NF) (Co-chair)
- Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO)
- National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (NACDD)
- National Association of County & City Health Officials (NACCHO)
The Collaboration’s purpose is to convene, communicate, and coordinate activities to achieve Healthy People 2020 goals for heart disease, stroke, and related risk factors and to create new partner opportunities and activities at national, state and local levels to conduct the following:
- Population health policies and strategies
- Improve clinical preventive practice and/or community prevention
- Disseminate best practices
- Facilitate the adoption of evidence-based programs, policies, tools and resources
- Support federal programs in heart disease and stroke prevention
Sign up to receive regular e-Updates from Million Hearts® and download past e-newsletters. The Million Hearts® e-Update provides tools, resources, news from the field, and success stories from supporters.
NOTE: The links provided on this page are for convenience only, and are NOT an endorsement of either the linked-to entity or any product or service.