Over the past 5 years, we’ve seen tremendous progress among health systems and health professionals helping patients manage high blood pressure by using innovative, evidence-based tools and protocols. While these efforts are promising, we still have a long way to go:
- High blood pressure contributes to more than 1,100 deaths in the United States each day and puts millions at risk for heart disease and stroke.
- About 1 in 3 American adults—75 million people—has high blood pressure, and nearly half of them don’t have it under control.
- One in 6 adults with high blood pressure isn’t even aware they have it, despite having health care coverage, being treated with medicine, and seeing their doctor regularly.
We know what works to achieve high rates of blood pressure control, and we have learned from our previous Hypertension Control Champions , and applaud them for their success in attaining a blood pressure control rate of at least 70 percent among their patients with high blood pressure. They all have described a focus on improving blood pressure control, and have deployed the use of teams, technology and processes to support the patient in getting to control.
This year we are challenging health systems, practices, and professionals across the nation to reach even greater heights by attaining a control rate of at least 80 percent of their patient populations.
CDC’s Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention and the Million Hearts® initiative are pleased to announce that the 2018 Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Challenge is now open to receive applications from health professionals, practices, and health systems that show excellence in achieving hypertension control rates of 80 percent or greater over a 12-month period.
Please help us spread the word about this challenge and the importance of hypertension control:
- Submit your application. The Hypertension Control Challenge is open February 20, 2018, through April 6, 2018.
- Encourage other high-performing practices, small or large to compete in the 2018 Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Challenge at http://bit.ly/2nKW5qA.
- Place the Hypertension Control Challenge badge on your website’s homepage or in your email signature between February 20 and April 6, 2018.
The 2018 Champions will be announced at http://millionhearts.hhs.gov in fall 2018.
For more information on rules and eligibility requirements, please visit http://bit.ly/2nKW5qA. Questions about the Challenge should be directed to email@example.com, with “Million Hearts Hypertension Control Challenge” in the subject line.
Together we can achieve a nationwide blood pressure control rate of 80 percent or better, preventing tens of thousands of cardiac events and saving billions of dollars in medical costs each year. Join the Challenge to become one of the next Hypertension Control Champions!
Betsy L. Thompson, MD, MSPH, DrPH
Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Janet S. Wright, MD, FACC